Album Review: J.I.D. - DiCaprio 2



Right before we all get our top 10 album lists together a not-so-well-known rapper from Dreamville Records decides to rear his head with DiCaprio 2.

2018 XXL Freshman J.I.D. has already made a name for himself for his quick wit, phenominal flow, and hard hitting lyrics. Not to mention his debut project "The Never Story" was well received by fans and Youtubers alike.

One of the main questions that lingered after each review was "how is he going to follow this up?" Well...now we have our answer.

The album begins with "Frequency Change" which sounds like J.I.D. surfing through the channels of his TV which could also stand for the change of pace he is going to bring to the game. On the next track "Slick Talk" J.I.D. gets activated and comes in firing on all cylinders with double-time and triplet flows galore...then the beat switches. As the beat slows down it allows J.I.D. to flex his lyrically prowess in a more clear fashion, and let's just say there are no shortage of clever punchlines and creativity. The final verse analogizes how J.I.D. has married himself to the game, but compares the trials and stimpulations to an actual marriage.

"Rap game in a wedding gown, she gave me the ring
I said, "Yes" and vowed for forever now
On the honeymoon, getting naked now
On a money pile, doing doggystyle
I'm a father now, and you are my child
Or you aren't my child, I'm on "Maury" now
And I'm talking loud, the results are found
You are not the - wow, I should kill this bitch like a doggy pound
We divorcing now
I want the cars, ring, clothes, all the houses
You broke my heart, I'm re-organizing
Really trying to be mature about it"

This man was not playing around...

The next track "Westbrook" comes in with a low pitch J.I.D. verse then...HERE COMES A$AP FERG WITH THE ENERGY!!!! I'll be honest...the chorus isn't that good, but Ferg's contributions are decent, and once again J.I.D. floats over this beat. That may just be the theme to this review, he sounds at home on every track on this album. The beats may not overall the best beats in the world, but what J.I.D. has to offer each track makes you think "How does he think of this stuff?'

The following track "Off Deez"  is actually the first single on the album, and all I have to say about it is...check it out for yourself here. J. Cole gives an amazing featuring verse and J.I.D. once again find pockets in the beat that most wouldn't be able to.

The following track "151 Rum" has also been released as single and is another exercise of lyrical and technical skill, and it flows perfectly into "Off the Zoinkys". I was honestly concerned that the song would be lame, but it ended up being one of my favorites on the album. J.I.D. rhymes flawlessly over the "I'm So Grateful" gospel sample. He speaks from the perspective of knowing the downfalls of drug abuse and how it affects his community. It doesn't come off as preachy, but it also isn't cheesy or lacking perspective.

Want to hear a deep reflective track? "Workin Out" has you covered. Interested in rappers who speak about relationships? "Tiiied" featuring 6lack and Ella Mai is perfect for you.

That reminds me...there is no such thing as  a bad feature on this album. From R&B to Rap all the artist included on this album complimented J.I.D. well, and he wasn't outshined on a single track. I definitely didn't expect him to rap so well alongside Method Man and Joey Bada$$.

My only true complaint about this album is there are some weak hooks on this album. I feel like half the tracks would have been better if they were just straight rapping. Some of the choruses like "Westbrook", "Mounted Up", and "Slick Talk" could have been rewritten or scrapped all together. Something else that I realized over my listens is the mixtape feel of this album. Some may be able to appreciate that, but others may find the album to be less structured than most mainstream albums this year.

Overall, there are very few reasons to complain about the work J.I.D. has put together. DiCaprio 2 is an album the backpacking lyrical loving fan can enjoy just as much as the casual/production oriented fan. J.I.D has put together an impressive showing that will leave us all wondering "What will he do next?" and proves to us that he was serious about competing directly with the artist of TDE.

Top Tracks:

"Westbrook"
"Off Deez"
"Off Da Zoinkys"
"Workin Out"


Beats: 9
Lyrics: 8
Originality: 9
Concept: 8
Overall: 8.5

Comments