Why didn't you review... Missy Elliot - Iconology



Welcome back to "Why Didn't You Review?". These articles will cover popular albums that I may have missed out on, didn't care about, or was unsure if I could write a full article on.

The albums I speak on will be based heavily off of recommendations and request, so feel free to send in albums FROM ANY GENRE!

Today's album will be Iconology by Missy Elliot. I had this album on repeat while stuck in traffic, so I can assure it has had many rotations.

Why didn't I review it?

1. It's REALLY short

Technically this project is an EP, and EP's usually don't make great reviews to begin with, but seriously what am I going to do with a 5 track EP? You can listen to the whole EP before finishing this article.

2. There's no replay value

This bit of information may come as a shock to most, but after the first listen there is no reason to come back. You get everything you need from the initial playthrough, and sense Missy Elliot is not a groundbreaking lyricist you don't have to replay the EP to catch any metaphors or punchlines.

3. The best song is acapella

If the best a project provides is stripping away the production from the main single...you may have a misstep on your hands. The vibe and every of "Why I Still Love You" is great, but it's so much better without the production. You actually feel the message Missy Elliot is trying to get across.

4. I'll be real, it's garbage

The whole project is a throwaway, "Throw it back" is terrible, you won't remember the other tracks, and overall it's not the Missy Elliot we know and live. It sounds like a sample EP, something you use to test out what the audience likes and build the base of your album around it.

Thank you all so much for reading my article!

Remember to send your suggestions to @CallmeLQ on Twitter and Instagram

Comments